Managing Your Luma Account FAQs
Luma makes it easy for you to manage your account, especially when you choose hassle-free online account management.
What’s online account management?
With Luma, you can get hassle-free online account management. If you already have a Luma card and haven’t registered for online account management already, it only takes 2 minutes. Click here to register.
When you manage your account online, you’ll be able to:
- Contact us anytime, anywhere via Secure Message (similar to email, but more secure)
- Set up automated alerts to let you know that your payment’s due, if you’re nearing your credit limit, or if there’s suspicious activity on your account
- See your current balance and how close you are to your credit limit
- Review statements for the previous 12 months
- View transactions since your last statement
- Switch to electronic documents and cut down on paperwork and clutter
Why couldn’t I have my first choice for my username?
For your security, we need each card holder to have a unique username for their online accounts. Because someone else already had the username you asked for, we needed you to take a different one.
What’s the secret question and answer for?
Because it’s easy to forget passwords, if you ever forget your password, you can use your secret question and answer to access your online account. Make sure your secret question and answer aren’t something that’s a matter of public record or something you keep visible in places like Facebook. Avoid using things like your birthday, your hometown, etc.
Can I change my online account user name and password?
You cannot change your username but you can change your password. In fact, it’s a good idea to change your passwords on a regular basis to keep your information secure. Just sign into your online account. Click “Update Profile” and follow the prompts to change your password.
What format should my password be in?
Your password must be at least 8 digits long and must include at least one number. It’s a good idea to use a password unique to your Luma account so that someone can’t gain access to several of your accounts should your password fall into the wrong hands.
What should I do if I’m locked out of my account because of password problems?
Just visit Capital One’s Password Assistance page. We’ll ask you some security information and send you a new temporary password to your email address. When you log in, you’ll be asked to change the temporary password to something memorable but not obvious.
What are automated alerts?
When you register for online account management, you can set up automated alerts that let you know when you’re close to your credit limit or to remind you when your credit card payment’s due. Automated alerts help you stay on top of your account.
What are Secure Messages?
Luma customers managing their accounts online can send messages through a secure channel that is protected by SSL encryption technology. When you use Secure Messages, no one else should be able to read information sent between our website and your computer. Writing and sending messages through Secure Message is as easy as normal email.
How can I change my address, email, or telephone number?
It’s easy to make account updates when you manage your Luma card online. Alternatively, you can give us a call.
How can I change my name on my card?
Before we can update our records and send you a new Luma credit card, we’ll need to see a copy of official documents that show your new name. These can include:
- Your marriage certificate if you’ve changed your name because you’ve gotten married,
- Your birth certificate and marriage certificate if you’ve changed your name after separation/divorce, or
- A deed-poll certificate or statutory declaration if you’ve changed your name in court.
In addition to your documents, you’ll also need to supply a covering letter providing the following:
- A sentence explaining that you want to change your name
- Your Luma account number
- Your signature with both your former and new names
Once you have this together, send it to us. On receipt of your documents, we’ll update our records and send you a new Luma card within 7-10 working days. Once you receive your new Luma card, cut your old card in two through the Chip and return it to Capital One, issuer of your Luma card.
What’s an extra cardholder?
Your spouse/partner or other family member can be allowed to use an additional card connected with your account. As the primary cardholder, you have sole responsibility for all spending and payments on your Luma card, including those made by all the extra cardholders you specify. You can have up to three extra cardholders on your account.
How do I add an extra cardholder?
Adding a cardholder is easy online. Just send us a Secure Message with the following information:
- The full name of the person you want to have an extra card,
- His or her full address, including the postcode,
- His or her relationship to the primary cardholder, and
- The extra cardholder’s date of birth.
Once we’ve accepted your extra cardholder, you’ll receive the additional card within 10 days.
How do I update an extra cardholder’s name?
To change your extra cardholder’s name, send us a Secure Message or write to us with the following information:
- If due to marriage, a copy of the marriage certificate;
- If reverting to a maiden name, a copy of the marriage certificate/decree absolute and birth certificate;
- If due to changing name by deed poll, a copy of the deed poll certificate; or
- A birth certificate or a valid, signed passport if we have your name spelt incorrectly on an account.
You’ll receive a new Luma card for your extra cardholder reflecting the name change within 10 working days.
Can I give an extra cardholder the authority to discuss my account details?
To allow an extra cardholder to discuss your account, please write to us and include:
- The full name of whom you’re authorising
- Your account number
- Your signature
As the primary cardholder, you have sole responsibility for all spending and payments on your account. This means that we can tell an authorised person about your account but we can’t accept their instructions to make any changes. Only a primary cardholder can make instructions for changes.
How do I take an extra cardholder off my account?
Get in touch with us online or in writing to let us know whom you’d like to remove from your account. Please destroy the extra cardholder’s credit card and return it to us cut in two through the card’s Chip. If you’re unable to get the card back from the extra cardholder, let us know. We’ll cancel the card but you’re still responsible for the spending that took place on your account when the person was allowed to be an extra cardholder.
How do I close my Luma account?
We never want to lose a customer, but if you decide you want to close your Luma account, please get in touch with us